|Babies & Toddlers Information|
Baby's First Shoes: How to Choose the Right Ones
Any parent of an active toddler has asked this question: "When should my child start wearing shoes?"
There is no clear consensus. Some parents buy shoes as soon as their baby pulls herself into a first tentative stand; others wait as long as possible, preferring not to constrict their children's feet.
"As a general rule, kids will need shoes when they are ready to start walking around outdoors," says Peggy Wells, who is both a mother and president of Pip Squeakers, a children's shoe company. "You will want something that protects your baby's feet but still allows for some flexibility," she explains.
For parents contemplating purchasing their baby's first shoes, here are some suggestions for things to consider from the experts at parentsplace.com and pipsqueakers.com:
* Make sure you get the proper fit. Shoes that are too tight or too loose could be painful or cause blisters, and may even hamper walking. Have your pediatrician measure your child's feet, during the regular check-ups. This will provide you with an accurate measurement when you refer to a shoe company's sizing chart.
* Avoid stiff, high-top leather shoes; there is no evidence that they help babies walk. Instead, look for something soft and flexible that allows your baby to use the movement of his feet to maintain balance and to walk. They should be made from canvas or some other breathable material, and have flat, flexible, non-slip soles.
* Get shoes your child likes. Pip Squeakers shoes make a pleasing "squeak" that children enjoy. "It encourages them to move, walk and explore their surroundings," says Wells, who adds that children enjoy creating the amusing sounds with each step. An added benefit is safety: the sound allows parents to more easily track the movements of their toddler and keep them within a close radius.
* Safe closures. Make sure that your baby's shoes fasten well. Double-knot laces so that they are less likely to come undone and make sure buckle straps are secure without being too tight. Velcro fasteners are the easiest option.
* It is normal to have a slight discrepancy in foot size between the two feet; you want to make sure to go with the shoe size that fits the larger foot. Allow about one-half inch of space at the end of the longest toe to the end of the shoe. The toes should be able to wiggle freely, and the heel should not slip with normal walking.
* Get the shoe that is most comfortable for your child, even if it is not the same size that the measurement device indicates. Be aware that sizing differs with each shoe company, so refer to their respective sizing charts. It is advisable to inspect the shoe fit every couple of weeks, to insure the continuing comfort of your child's feet.
Because of their unique ability to make sounds, Pip Squeakers shoes may be of interest to parents of children with disabilities who may have vision or mobility problems.
Tricia O'Connell is a special needs teacher, and is now in her 20th year of teaching. She is also the co-founder of Pip Squeakers. For more information on children's shoes and Pip Squeakers, visit http://www.pipsqueakers.com or call (866) 722-4535.
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
The Perfect Baby Shower Gift
Have you found yourself frustrated trying to decide what to buy for a baby shower gift? By the time you have spent energy, money and time buying and wrapping the "perfect" gift, you find that someone else had the same idea. This scenario is the same embarrassment that you felt in Jr.
Healthy Baby Food - When is the Best Time to Start Consuming Juice?
Mother's milk is the best choice for healthy baby food. However, there will be a time when the baby needs much more nutrients as they grow up and mother's milk can not accomplish it anymore.
Baby Shower Hosting 101
Are you ready to host the best baby shower ever but don't know where to start? Baby showers are fun, but planning one can be tedious. In this article we'll cover the basics to get you started.
Reading to Children - Are We Doing It Right?
Setting the Stage - Reading is One of the Big Boosts to Life:Several studies over several years in several settings have all shown a high correlation between reading to young children and academic competence throughout their traditional school years. We all know by now that reading stories to a child is an important part of the child's early development, and so we read to them.
Will Kids Eat Vegetables? Yes, They Will!
You have made the decision to grow your own vegetables. It's a lifestyle and health choice.
Tips and Tricks for Introducing Solids to Your Baby
Helping your child move from breast breast milk or formula to solids is a milestone for both you and your baby. However, it can be challenging for some parents.
Should Your Baby Sleep In Your Bed?
Should baby sleep in her own cot or in bed with you? There are arguments on both sides. Advantages: Breastfeeding is easier, you don't have to get out of bed to feed baby.
Family Life or How to Buy Chair for a New Baby
Even if your baby is just weeks old now, you'll soon see how amazingly quickly she develops.Most expected parents want to buy their new baby the world.
How to Clean Those Lovable Plush Toys
Are YOUR Stuffed Animals DIRTY?Stuffed animals and dollies can lead a hard life, if they're loved. Whether they sleep with you, tag along to play dates or Day Care, play hide and seek in the back yard, or just cuddle up by the TV sharing your snacks, they can really get dirty.
Potty Training At Daycare and Preschool
With 61% of children between the ages of birth and 6 years in daycare, it's important that parents work closely with their child's care provider while potty training. When you child is ready for potty training, the right potty training guidance and supplies can make all the difference.
The Personality Traits of a Capricorn Baby
Your Capricorn Baby..
Baby Speech Development - Lost for Words
As children are growing from todddlerhood to childhood parents are very aware and concerned about their child's development. One of the most grieved about concern is the development of speech.
Baby Nursery Furniture
You are expecting your first baby and are wondering what type of nursery furniture you will need to make your life easier and your little one comfortable. You will find that there are an array of cribs in all types of designs, styles and colors to fit with any décor you choose for your nursery.
If circumcision were a choice I had to have made, I would have run frantically from the hospital with my newborn son to protect him from the procedure. His father would have chased me down, insisting his son "look like he did.
Baby Signing - 10 Easy Ways to Start Signing with Your Baby
Babies can communicate their needs and desires a lot earlier than we think. They have an instinctive need to communicate.
Baby Shower Checklist for Planning a Baby Shower
Most shower checklists will suggest you start planning approximately four weeks before the intended shower date. This will give you enough time to do everything you need to without feeling rushed.
A History of Baby Names
The history of names is so ancient that no one know quite where it began. Oral and written history both profess people having names.
Around 20% of newborn babies suffer from jaundice. The condition is not normally serious and usually clears up after a week or so.
How Often Should A One-Month Baby Go for Check Up?
What happen during the first month of your newborn, does your baby need check up? In the first weeks after birth, your newborn begins a series of routine check ups. These are called well child visits.
Scrapbooking the Dizzying Movies of Toddlers
Toddlers are highly energetic life forces. Between infancy and kindergarten school days, your toddler is often fully involved in massive actions and activities.
|home | site map|