|Babies & Toddlers Information|
Unique and Unusual Baby Names
Today one of the biggest trends in naming is choosing a unique name. Those of us who grew up in the 70's and 80's undoubtedly knew multiple Jennifers, Amys, Michaels and Johns, and many parents want their child to have a more unusual name. Parents have dusted off old classics, combined names and altered spellings in the hopes of saving their child from the fate of being known throughout their school years as "Amy with a Y" or "Michael R, the one with brown hair." So how do you find a name that is unique and unusual? Here are some suggestions, along with a few warnings.
1. If you live in the US, look through the top 100 names from the Social Security lists for the past few years to get a sense of what names are currently popular. You may be surprised at just how many children share a name that sounds fresh and unusual to you.
2. Look for unused classics. Literature is a great source of names that were once popular but have since fallen down the charts. Read the names in your family tree or look at Social Security lists from the early 1900's and you may just fall in love with a forgotten classic.
3. Anticipate the trends. Right now, names from the 1900's-1930's are very hot for girls. In another decade, that will probably move forward to names from the 1940's and 1950's. Look at those names now and see if any appeal to you.
4. Create your own name by combining two family names or altering a name that you love. Be cautious in this, however, as not all created names sound appealing. You may want to ask family and friends for opinions before committing to an invented name.
And now for the warnings:
1. Keep in mind that names used in popular television series or films are likely to skyrocket in popularity, as are names of celebrity children. For example, the name Ella and its variants have become extremely popular since a few celebrities used it and it appeared as a baby's name on the show ER.
2. Beware of creative spellings. While it's true that Keightl'nne looks very different from Caitlin or Katelyn, it is still pronounced the same way and is still ultimately the same name. You may be causing your child a lifetime of confusion as she attempts to spell her name over the phone, while she is still one of five or six Caitlins in her class. 3. Beware of punctuation in names, which could cause problems when filling out computerized forms.
4. Be careful not to take the hunt for creative names too far. Imagine the name as your own, or try the "profession test". Would you wish to be known forever as Egwene? Can you picture The Honorable Judge Tequila Mad'y'syn being called to the bench?
5. Above all, remember that what really matters is finding a name you love, one that grows well with your child. Even the top names are being given to fewer and fewer children these days, so if you fall in love with Emma or Jacob, don't let fears of popularity force you to use another name you don't really care for.
Copyright 2005 http://StorkNet.com
Written by Susan Harkavy for StorkNet's Baby Names Cubby (http://www.storknet.com/babynames), a one-stop shop for all things baby names. Visit StorkNet for support and information related to preconception, pregnancy, and parenting including childbirth, breastfeeding, pregnancy loss and more.
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
Potty Training Dolls - Why Use a Potty Training Doll to Assist in Potty Training Your Child?
The idea of using potty dolls to potty train toddlers has been around for some 30 years. Many parents (including myself) have successfully potty trained their children using a potty training doll.
The Average Growth In Babies
Growth charts are tools your pediatrician can use to keep track of your child's physical growth. During each checkup, the doctor will measure your baby's length, weight, and head circumference.
How to Pick the Best Name for Your Baby
Expectant parents spend hours preparing the nursery, poring over pregnancy and delivery books and going to childbirth classes. Yet surprisingly, many decide their child's given name within a matter of minutes, often spending more time selecting the right car seat or stroller.
Baby Shower Party Decorations to Liven up Your Baby Shower
An excellent source of information providing the perfect baby shower party decorations and baby shower themes. Decorations and themes that are focused and timesavers for the host.
Honor Grandma with a Baby Shower for Grandma
Throwing a baby shower for grandma could be a great way to commemorate the excitement of becoming a grandmother for the first time. There's nothing like spoiling the little cuties for a day and then sending them home to their parents!But while you have them, you will need to be prepared for them.
Baby Gift Baskets - A Personalized Way to Show How Much You Care
When baby showers abound what can you give to that new mom that will be a unique gift for baby? The choices for baby and infant gift ideas are considerable but one of the best baby gifts that you can give is a gift basket. A gift basket is one present that comes in many varieties, themes and price ranges and can offer great baby shower ideas when it comes to unique baby shower gifts.
You Have a New Person at Home: Babys Fourth Month Guide
Baby is into her fourth month now.Mom's milk is best.
How To Look For Baby Books
Look for Books! The books that you pick to read with your child is very important. If you aren't sure of what books are right for your child, ask a librarian to help you choose titles.
Home Remedies for Colic
You are at the end of your rope. You have tried everything under the sun to soothe your little one who is still crying non-stop.
How Toddlers Can Benefit From Using Computers
It's a fact of life that we live in an electronic age and computers are a bigger part of our lives than ever. It's unlike anything we've seen in the past and kids are learning to use computers at younger ages.
Couples Baby Shower Honors Both Mom and Dad
If having a Couples Baby Shower seems odd to you, consider this: Mom-to-be did not get pregnant on her own. Nor will she likely be raising the baby on her own.
Using Music To Calm Your Baby
Music is a wonderful way for you to calm and soothe your baby, especially during the first year. How many times have your heard parents say that there was nothing that they could do with their crying, fussing baby until they tried music.
Childrens Gift Ideas: Babies, Toddlers, and Beyond
When your time comes to shower a new mom or family with baby gifts, keep in mind that not all gifts are created equally.Baby gifts can be broken down into several categories, including those for infants, toddlers and beyond.
Does The Size Of Your Baby Matter?
Does size matter? No, not that! Is your baby too fat, too thin, is she eating too much or not enough? Not only have you got your weight to worry about, now there's two of you!In the first week your baby will lose weight, about 5-8% of her birth weight. Don't be alarmed, this is perfectly natural.
Babies Born During The Sign Of Gemini
Your Gemini Baby..
Best Baby Shower Invitation Ideas
The best baby shower invitation ideas help everyone to have fun without adding stress on the expectant mother. Planning for a newborn can be overwhelming to each family member, so providing the best baby shower invitation ideas with fun and little effort on Mom helps to give the baby shower lasting feelings of friendship and love.
Baby Yoga and Me
Having carried a sizable bump around for a very long, very hot summer, I really wasn't in the mood for a work out.As Gwyneth Paltrow and all of my other coat-hanger thin celebrity peers snaked their way, all skin and bone about the tabloids, I scowled and knew that, even if the mood did ever take me as I sat covered in powered milk, I would just never have the time to get back in shape now that I always had my baby in toe.
Tips and Tricks for Introducing Solids to Your Baby
Helping your child move from breast breast milk or formula to solids is a milestone for both you and your baby. However, it can be challenging for some parents.
Baby Stroller and Pushchairs - Out and About
Having a family day out is not exactly stress free, but with some of the new Buggies on the market you can make it a more enjoyable experience for all involved. I am going to introduce you to three of the top buggies on the market at the moment.
Make Your Own Baby Food
Those little containers of baby food sure are expensive once you start totaling up how much you use in a day. And now you are probably wondering how you could possibly save money on baby food (besides those $.
|home | site map|