|Babies & Toddlers Information|
14 Steps To Reducing Your Infants Reflux
Many of the things listed below will help with your baby's discomfort and spitting up, eliminating the need for medication.
POSITIONING STEPS FOR REDUCING REFLUX
Positioning During and After Feeds
1. Keeping the child upright during and for at least thirty minutes after feeds can help to reduce reflux by allowing gravity to work at holding the food in their tummies. As well, after feeding, try to keep them as motionless as possible for at least thirty minutes after feeding. Formula fed babies may require longer periods since formula is digested slower than breastmilk.
A Word About Car Seats
2. Some car seats position baby in such a way that they hunched and slouched over, putting added pressure on their tummies which can increase reflux episodes. Look for a car seat that allows baby to be reclined enough that they aren't slouched yet, inclined enough that they are fairly upright.
3. As with positioning after feeding, keeping baby propped during sleep is essential when they have reflux. It can help reduce painful reflux episodes and reduce the risk of aspiration.
Prone vs. Supine (Front vs Back)
4. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends all babies sleep in the supine position (on their backs) because it has been shown to reduce the risk of SIDS. This is fine for babies with reflux as long as the baby is safely propped up to at least 30%, we found the higher baby is propped the better. Having said that, many babies with reflux prefer sleeping in the prone position (stomach), also elevated of course, and may have less reflux episodes in this position. Discuss this with your doctor and he can help decide if it's okay, and how to safely manage allowing baby to sleep in the prone position. It's very important to discuss this with the doctor before trying it as babies with reflux are already at an increased risk of SIDS.
5. Try carrying baby around as much as possible in a baby carrier through out the day. Carried babies tend to cry less and crying will make reflux worse, plus, it keeps baby upright.
CLOTHING AND REFLUX
Avoid Tight Clothing
6. Tight clothing, particularly clothing that's tight around baby's tummy, can make reflux worse by increasing pressure on the LES (lower esophageal sphincter). Make sure baby stays in loose fitting, elastic waists whenever possible.
FOOD / FEEDING TIPS AND SUGGESTIONS
7. Breastfeeding is definitely best for a baby with reflux because it is more hypoallergenic than formula and is digested twice as fast as formula. If breastfeeding is not chosen or not possible by the mother, formula changes can help some babies. If the baby has a milk or lactose allergy or intolerance giving the baby formula that is milk based can make reflux worse. Learn about the different types of formula available and discuss this possibility with your pediatrician.
8. Some babies with reflux will respond well to thickening their feeds with cereal. Thickening formula can help for a few reasons. The added weight of the cereal in the food helps to keep the food from splashing around in the baby's belly and can help keep it down. Babies who are having difficulty gaining weight may also benefit from the added calories. Generally, it's recommended that about one tablespoon of cereal should be added for every ounce of formula. If the formula isn't thick enough, it won't work. Also, some babies may react poorly to rice cereal which is generally the first tried, so adding oatmeal instead may work better for some babies. As always discuss this with your pediatrician before trying it.
9. When and how much a baby is fed can also have an impact on their reflux. Smaller more frequent meals through out the day work much better than larger, less frequent meals. Also, avoid feeding baby right before bedtime, particularly if the baby is already a poor sleeper.
10. If you are breastfeeding, try eliminating the foods that can make reflux worse. Dairy products are a big offender, as is caffeine, fatty foods, spicy foods, citrus fruits. If eliminating these things seems to help, you can slowly (about one thing a week) start to introduce one thing at a time back into your diet and watch baby's reactions. This will help give you an idea of exactly what was making the reflux worse, so that you (hopefully) don't need to give up everything you love, just one or two things.
11. Stopping to burp baby frequently (at least after every ounce) during feedings can help.
Provide a Pacifier
12. Sucking on a pacifier or dummy, can increase saliva production. Saliva is alkaline which can help neutralize some of the acid that may come up.
Avoid Certain Foods and Liquids
13. More so for older children and babies, there are certain foods that are known to make reflux worse, as mentioned above. These should be avoided.
14. Try infant massage, it's been shown to improve digestion and will help relax baby.
For more help, including treatments, how to know if medication is required, tips on propping baby and information about the different formulas available, visit InfantRefluxDisease.com.
MacLean started researching reflux and GERD shortly after her daughter was born with GERD in May of 2000. She has spent the years following her daughter's birth learning everything she could. MacLean felt the need to reach out and help others going through what they had been through by sharing all that she had learned. Early in 2001 she launched InfantRefluxDisease.com as an informational website to help guide other parents. MacLean's dedication to the GERD community continues to this day. She has written the highly acclaimed, Life on the Reflux Roller Coaster, published in 2004, which was the first book ever published entirely on this subject. Currently, she dedicates all her spare time to the website that started it all, which has since grown into one of the best sources of information online.
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
Baby Shower Invitations Ideas
The first thing you need to do before you order invitations or make your own baby shower invitations is to decide on the theme of your party! You can choose from baby shower invitations ideas like teddy bears, ducks, baby bottles and diaper pins. And what colors do you want? Blue for boys, pink for girls, or yellow and green for the baby yet unseen?You need to consider the mother's personal style.
Playing Baby Computer Games - The New Parent-Child Tradition?
Imagine cuddling up with your small child to look at a picture book together that is interactive, musical, responsive and talks to you?This is the experience that people are having who are engaged in that relatively new pastime - playing computer games with babies.JumpStart's Knowledge Adventure calls it "lapware", Kiddies Games' logo is "Hop on the lap and tap", and Sesame Street's "Baby and Me" opens with an animation of a baby monster hopping onto the lap of a Daddy monster to play the computer.
Potty Training Doll - How Do You Use A Potty Training Doll To Potty Train You Child?
Your heard about using a potty training doll that drinks and wets to assist in the process of potty training. Okay - that sounds good.
The Truth About Baby Bedding
Imagine your little baby in her nursery. So happy in the colorful new home you have prepared for her.
The Baby Stroller- How To Choose
You will need to begin gathering the things your baby will need, now that you got the news that you are expecting a bundle of joy. You may feel overwhelmed if this is your first baby with all the decisions that need to be made.
7 Stages of Potty Training
There are seven stages of potty training. They begin with showing signs of potty training readiness and conclude with being able to use the toilet away from home.
Hello World: Babys Third Month Guide
Remember how you wished your baby would learn there is more to life than crying, feeding and sleeping? Your wishes are coming true. Your baby's third month will see her become much more interactive.
Oh Baby! Choosing the Right Baby Name
Naming a baby is no easy task. However, the following tips will help you give your baby his or her very first gift.
Guide to Choosing Toddler Toys
The play has many more functions for toddlers than for adults. For toddlers, play is not just a way to relax but it is also the best way to learn and perfect skills like walking, balance and controlling the hands.
Stroller Facts And Tips
Did you know the first strollers appeared during the early 1700s? During this time having a stroller meant you enjoyed a comfortable lifestyle. Most citizens then used their stroller or 'buggy' to carry around and show off the newest member of their family.
IQ, Intelligence, and Brain Development- Another Breastfeeding Benefit
Modern parents want to do everything they can to help their children's brain development. Never before have there been so many products and books sold that claim to help parents stimulate their baby's brain, assist in brain development, and give baby an intelligence "edge".
Make Your Own Baby Food
Those little containers of baby food sure are expensive once you start totaling up how much you use in a day. And now you are probably wondering how you could possibly save money on baby food (besides those $.
Baby Massage: A Cure for Colic
Colic hurts. Any parent who has an affected child will know that there is almost no pain like it - the physical and vocal response to the problem can be highly tiring and its very difficult to stand by and cope as a parent.
4 Tips for Taking Great Baby Pictures - Even If Youre Not a Professional
When my daughter Layla was born I had a hard time putting the camera down. And apparently I wasn't the only one.
One of the most common conditions a new mother may see on her infant, is baby acne. But while it is startling in so young a child, it's really not a serious issue, nor should you be overly concerned about the causes or cures.
Baby Signing - 10 Easy Ways to Start Signing with Your Baby
Babies can communicate their needs and desires a lot earlier than we think. They have an instinctive need to communicate.
How to Choose a Baby Gate
Once your baby is out of their crib and playpen, you're going to need some way of ensuring their safety. That's why learning how to choose a baby gate can be one of the most important things you'll do while baby-proofing the house.
Babies Born With A Cleft Palate Or Lip
As many as one in 700 babies are born with either a cleft palate or cleft lip. Often these can cause a number of related problems including glue ear, crooked teeth and hearing difficulties.
Baby Cold Symptoms and How to Treat Them
Remember how miserable you felt when you last had a cold? Can you imagine what your baby must feel when he experiences a cold for the first time?Viruses are responsible for causing colds. Infected people spread the viruses when they sneeze or cough nearby healthy people.
Baby Safety Checklist - Protecting Your Baby
When bringing home your new baby, there are so many things to do in order to get ready. Making your home a safe haven for your new little one is one of the most important things you will do to get ready.
|home | site map|