|Babies & Toddlers Information|
On the Road Again
Just like Willy Nelson, I could not wait to get on the road again.
After five years of marriage my husband and I had traveled to France, Florida, Missouri, Georgia, and the Caribbean. We had also taken many weekend trips around my husband's hectic work schedule.
That all changed January 16, 1992 - or so we thought.
The next three months were a blur; bottles, diapers, and lack of sleep, times two. When I finally returned to work, after twelve weeks, my life had drastically changed.
My husband and I did not venture on another vacation for seven years. By that time the twins were seven and our youngest was two.
I quickly learned how traveling with our youngest children could be fun, exciting and definitely not tiresome. With a family of five our preferred mode of travel is driving.
We make our hotel stops safe, fun, and exciting by following some simple rules, and, with minimal planning, easy.
Just remember that jumping up from your chair each time your toddler/preschooler reaches danger is exhausting!
1. Travel with a child proofing kit: electrical outlet covers, doorknob covers, string to tie cabinets closed and the number to the poison control center.
2. Don't open windows or trust the safety of screens; they can be pushed out by an assertive toddler.
3. Check the room for hazards, such as lamps that can pulled down, sharp edges on coffee tables, poison plants or throw rugs.
4. Check for small objects left by previous occupants in drawers, cabinets or under the nightstands or beds.
5. Take the knobs off of stoves and return them when needed.
6. Remove electrical cords that might be hazardous.
7. Remove chemicals from beneath the sink in the kitchen or bathroom.
Gail Morris is the mother of four children. Her ideas are time tested and mother approved! If you want more information (printable games, checklists, emergency information, budget travel) or would like her semi-monthly free newsletter, Your Family Resources, visit http://www.YourEzBooks.com
Warning: fopen(http://news.google.com/news?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-22,GGLG:en&q=Babies-Toddler&output=rss) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Network is unreachable in /srv/disk1/andresstaff/www/bebes.awardspace.us/inc/rss.inc on line 81
could not open XML input